What is Linux operating system?
Just like Windows, Mac OS, Linux is an operating system. From smartphones to cars, desktops or laptops, supercomputers, and home appliances, the Linux system is everywhere. All of the world’s top 500 supercomputers run most of the Internet using the Linux kernel. Let’s get to know what actually Linux is and why it is so popular?
What is Linux?
Linux is an open-source operating system. By the term open-source means, anyone from the outside world can access the actual code, modify it according to their need. Android is powered by Linux operating system.
But besides being the platform of choice to run desktops, servers, and embedded systems across the globe, Linux is one of the most reliable, secure, and worry-free operating systems available.
Linux has become the largest open-source operating software project in the world. Professional and programmers from around the world contribute to the Linux kernel, adding features, finding and fixing bugs and security flaws, and providing new ideas—all while sharing their contributions back to the community.
As Linux is open-source, there is no vendor selling it. You could download the kernel and various utilities and install them.
Again, in theory, anyone could put a Linux distribution together, but most are offered by companies and nonprofit organizations. Commercial distributors may charge for their distribution or offer optional paid support services. Some of the better known Linux distributions are:
- Puppy Linux
- Red Hat
- Oracle Linux
- Kali Linux
- Linux Mint
What distribution should I use?
- If you are a beginner then it is most recommended that you should go for Ubuntu, Linux mint.
- If you are going in the field of cyber security then Kali Linux, Parrot Security OS is the most recommended Linux distribution.
- In case you want to maximize control on your os goes for Gentoo. Gentoo requires a lot of configuration, hardware discovery, and compiling of source code.
- For server setup, RedHat and CentOS are good choices. This distribution will provide you Stability and Security.
- To get the minimal design go for Lubuntu or Puppy Linux. These are lightweight and can be run on old machines.
Work on Linux requires a bit of patience but once you start working on it you start loving it. There is much more customisation that you can find in Linux. This provides a feeling of full control. Linux also helps in better security and smoothens your work.
In Order to install Kali Linux, you can follow this blog -> Kali Linux Installation.